Kennett loses tough opener to Avon Grove, 28-21

Pin It

Blue Demons put on an impressive display of athleticism, sportsmanship, and most of all determination in their opening game

By P.J. D’Annunzio, Staff Writer,

Kennett quarterback Barry Tomasetti Jr. races toward the line of scrimmage, Friday, against Avon Grove.

KENNETT SQUARE—The band struck up a pep tune and with it the Kennett High School football team rushed through the banner and onto the field to meet their opponents, the Avon Grove Red Devils, for the first game of the season.

Although the Blue Demons’ football program continues to show progress, all that passion wasn’t enough to carry them past perennial power Avon Grove, dropping a tough 28-21 decision Friday afternoon in the Ches-Mont American Division opener for both teams.

While the option offense installed in 2010 by second-year coach Scott Green is improved, still, at least based on the opening game, it remains a work in progress.

The first quarter kicked off with an AG possession that advanced them to their own 37 yard line. After gaining a further four yards the Devils’ advance was blocked by a brick wall Blue Demon defense.

Then the Demons gained possession. After Kennett pressed forward to the 30 yard line, a play by AG was flagged resulting in a 10 yard gain and first down for Kennett. Subsequently, the Demons advanced within one yard of the Devils end zone. Quarterback Barry Tomasetti Jr. attempted to plow through the middle but was halted by the AG defense.

As Kennett prepared to punt, the toss back was sent askew but was miraculously recovered by Tyler Boyer who moved the ball to the 39 yard line, giving the Demons a first down. After the surprising turn of events, Tomasetti advanced the ball farther by reaching the Devils’ 28 yard line, which eventually allowed Boyer to score the first touchdown of the game. With the successful extra point kick the Demons were up 7-0.

In the second quarter AG struck back, exploiting a turnover from a fumbled Kennett possession, taking it all the way from their own 30 yard line to Kennett’s 40, giving them a first down. AG ultimately broke through the Kennett defense and scored a touchdown and point after, tying the game at 7-7.

The Kennett High School football team storms the field to start the 2011 season.

After several stalemate possessions between the two teams, the Devils eluded the Demons’ defensive line and gained position at the Kennett 33 yard line. From that point they scored another touchdown, the last before the half, putting Kennett behind at 14-7.

The Blue Demons emerged from the locker room, more determined than ever to turn it around in the second half.  Kennett received the kickoff at the 11 yard line and plowed forward to for a second down with eight yards to the line of scrimmage. Tomasetti connected on a pass to Jordan Lardani, who fought for every inch as he mustered forward, bringing the demons to third down and four. AG, however, blocked the next pass and forced a turnover.

Undaunted by the turnover, the Demons defense was able to keep the Devils from scoring, halting them at the 36 yard line. Kennett forced their way within 40 yards of the AG goal line during their subsequent possession and Tomasetti was able to break through the Devils defenders and rush into the end zone scoring a touchdown. The point after tied the game at 14-14.

AG responded early in the fourth quarter with a long haul by J.T. Bliden steaming down the field to first and goal on the five and ultimately another Devils touchdown and point after edging their lead over Kennett to 21-14.

In the middle of the quarter AG was able to score yet again on Kennett, extending its lead to a dangerous, 28-14.

But the Blue Devils remained fearless despite the growing point deficit. Their scrappy determination was apparent as they continued to battle on for every inch and sweat it out on field. Eventually, late in the fourth quarter, Tomasetti was able to break free of the AG defensive line and rush and astonishing 80 yards from the Kennett 20, to score a final touchdown with two minutes left on the clock.

Despite their hard work, the Blue Demons lost to the Red Devils with a final score of 21-28.

“I think we made too many mistakes and gave a good Avon Grove team chances to capitalize,” Kennett’s Green said, “when you play good teams you can’t give them opportunities like that, and unfortunately we didn’t come out on top…we had some assignment mistakes, we had some turnovers, we missed some blocks; we want to clean all that up and play some sound, fundamental football.”

Though some revisions will be made, the team’s dedication to option offense will remain untouched.

“We’re an option team,” Green said, “sometimes it goes and sometimes we struggle, but we’re always going to be an option team. It’s important for our kids to execute that and I think it’ll help us stay in games with good teams like Avon Grove.”

Kennett’s next game will be away at Twin Valley.

Share this post:

Leave a Comment